Coeliac disease is a lifelong autoimmune disease caused by the immune system reacting to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye.
Symptoms range from mild to servere, and can include bloating, diarroea, nausea, wind, constipation, tiredness, mouth ulcers, sudden or unexpected weight loss, and anaemia.
Coelliac disease is very common and affects one in 100 people. However, only about a quarter who have the condition have been diagnosed. This means there are currently nearly half a million people who have coelliac disease but don't know.
Out Of This World have always tried to cater for special dietary requirements, we have a huge range of gluten free products ranging from every day essentials to special treats. Sales in this area have been huge for us in the past few years with many non-coelliacs reporting a range of health benefits of adopting a gluten free diet!
To help raise awareness for the disease we're sharing our favourite vegan gluten free bread recipe!
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 2¼ tsp. dry active yeast
- 1 c. warm almond milk
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 c. warm water
- 5 Tbsp. ground white chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 c. oat flour
- 1 c. millet flour
- ½ c. arrowroot powder
- ½ c. tapioca starch
- ¼ c. buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- In a medium bowl combine the warmed nondairy milk with the yeast and sugar. Allow to proof until frothy (approx.10 minutes).
- Add the water, oil, vinegar, and chia seeds into the yeast mix and whisk until well-combined. Allow to sit for another 2 minutes so the chia seeds expand.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Spoon the batter into a 8x4 (20x10 cm) loaf pan. Using the back of a spoon smooth out the top and gently press down to ensure there are no gaps in the batter. Allow to rise until the loaf rise just to the top of the pan (approx. 30 to 45 minutes) in a warm, non-drafty area of your kitchen. If it doubles before the allotted time, that's okay. Just proceed to baking it, no need to wait the total time.
- Preheat oven to 350*F (190*C).
- Place the loaf in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 60 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan briefly until you can remove it and transfer to a wire rack until it has completely cooled